The series DRAGONFLYTV premiered in 2002 and presents real-life science investigations in a style of television that captures the attention of today’s MTV and video-game generation. Against a pop-music soundtrack, children tell about their investigations, communicating the infectious excitement that comes with making their own discoveries. DRAGONFLYTV engages children, parents and teachers in accessible, hands-on science activities. The program is designed to appeal to children from diverse ethnic, socioeconomic, and educational backgrounds. By modeling and celebrating children’s science capabilities, DRAGONFLYTV has always shown that if kids can dream it, they can do it!
- Foster a greater interest in science and the process of scientific inquiry among children aged 9 to 12, with special emphasis on racial minorities, girls, and under-served communities
- Give children encouragement and the confidence to conduct their own scientific investigations
- Provide formal and informal educators with videos that model authentic explorations of science that all children can do
- Increase the appreciation of science among parents and other caregivers
- Encourage children’s literacy, through the synergy of a television show and a companion magazine
- Advance current research in science television.
Helping Kids Prepare for School
The philosophy of DRAGONFLYTV is rooted in a strong commitment to inquiry-based learning, which is at the heart of current reforms in science education, articulated in the National Science Education Standards. Our particular focus is to model scientific inquiry through real investigations conducted by real children, with a related objective of communicating basic science concepts appropriate for grades 4 through 6. DRAGONFLYTV aggressively promotes diversity and the idea that all children are capable of understanding and doing science.
Click here to learn more about DRAGONFLYTV and tpt National Productions.
Learn more about individual episodes of DRAGONFLYTV.
For additional information contact:
Twin Cities Public Television
Email: [email protected]